Châtillon Coligny, the old city


Come to discover the side streets of Châtillon Coligny, they're full of surprises and discovery.

  • The house "Colette"

 It's in this house that Dr Achille Robineau, doctor in Châtillon since 1891, arriving from St Sauveur in Puissaye, his parents and his half-sister, Sidonie-Gabrielle (the 18 year old intended Colette). The youg girl living with her parents in 9 rue de l'Egalité, liked to accompany the doctor to visit the sick. Colette got married in Châtillon on May 15th, 1893 with Henri-Gauthier Villars (Willy). She appreciated so much our city which she wrote shortly before her death : "never I speak cooldy of Châtillon Coligny, a beautiful region". Her family rests in the old cemetery.

(Can't be visited)

  • "L'Enfer" (XVIth century)

Seat of the provostship, it served as a place of preach for the protestant cult before the construction of the temple (1620). This building became Town Hall till the transfer of the municipality in the old protestant middle school in 1810. The seigneurial fees were perceived there.

(Can't be visited)

  • "The Paradise" (in the end of XVIth century)

Served as place of perception of the tithe (tax of the clergy). The canons of the collegiate Church gave conferences there.

(Can't be visited)

  • "The salt attic " (XVIth century)

It served to store the salt from which the royal tax was taken.

(Can't be visited)

  • "The statue of Antoine Cesar Becquerel " (1788-1878)

Officer of the engineers, he participated in many battles during the wars for independance of Spain (1810-1912). Pionner of the electricity and the electrochemistry he was in particular at the origin of the two liquids pile, of the photovoltaic methods.

  • The Church "St Pierre-Saint Paul"

The first part, the Chapel of Our Lady was built in XVIth century by Gaspard 1st, father of the Admiral. In 1552, the Admiral decided to transfer the collective Chapter and the parish situated in the Church of his castle towards this chapel. In XVIIth, it was enlarged by the extension of the nave and the construction of the side chapels. The organ has a classified sideboard dated bak to 1801. Claude Vignon's picture (teacher on the royal academy in XVIIth century) representing the Metamorphosis, decorates the chorus. A peculiarity : the bell tower, situated on a tower of defense, is separated from the Church.

  • The city hall

It was built at the beginning of XXth century and inaugurated in 1904. It replaced the former city hall situated since 1810 in the former constructed calvinist middle school (built in 1562 by Gaspard II de Coligny) on the same square just behind the bust. In 1685, Elizabeth Isabelle Angélique, princess of Mecklembourget duchess of Châtillon had bought it to establish Benedictines but the revolution scattered them. Set on fire by the lightning, this building was demolished in 1902.