Lorris is the first stop on many sightseeing tours. the biggest french national forest and is the birthplace of William Lorris, author of the Roman de la Rose. It was given the first customary law by King Louis VI le Gros.
Town Hall in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries
On the main facade, the bricks of the walls are alternating red and black designs :
rafters on the ground floor, and diamonds on the first floor. The door is flanked by stone pilasters and openings are called " mullion " bays.
The west facade also have brick designs but only diamonds. In the middle of the building, we can admire a beautiful octagonal turret with a magnificent spiral staircase, breaking the order of the building.
This Town Hall is covered by French roof with twin skylights engineered, surmounted by an entablature and a decorated penthouse.
On the left of the roof, a small figure holding a shield with an "L" and 3 Fleurs de Lys.
In 1689, Abraham Caillard sells the right side of the building to Mr. Lesergent. In 1752, the two owners of the municipality are the Lord of Plissonnière and Mr. Hervy.
July 29, 1792, a riot destroyed the front wall, windows and doors of the Town Hall.
March 16, 1799, Jean Baptiste Villemort buys half of the city he still owns in 1802. This year, the heirs of the Plissonnière sell their part of the building to Nicolas Poinloup. On April 21st, 1802 Happard buys the half De Villemort owned and on September 12nd, 1803, Catherine Gaudin acquires the half Sébastien Happard had ; hence owning the entire building.
In 1814, repairs are made for the offices of the Mayor and Justice of Peace. In 1820-1821, apparition of the garden next to the installation of the Hall of Justice of Peace and School. City Lorris bought this house in 1821 to Mr Happard to establish the Justice and Peace, the Chamber School and a housing for the teacher. In 1834, the distribution of windows of the Town Hall is changed, the buildong is elevated.
The wall, destroyed in 1792, is replaced by a grid supported by a low wall in 1853.
In 1883, the city hall was restored, Dussère replace the mullions and transoms bays removed in the nineteenth century. On Novembre 28th 1884, restoration project of the Hotel de Ville. In September 1891, the restoration of the Town Hall are completed.
The colors of the city are refreshed in 1972.
Covered market of the early twelfth century
Covered market regained their original appearance in 1992 with three spans and 600 square meters covered.
So they went back to the time of the establishment of fairs and markets.
In 1285, the register of accounts tells us that the main beam that comes from old fences Abbey Chaumontois was used to repair the palace, halls, stalls and also fortresses and bridges in the city.
Covered market, dated back to 1286 and were already home to a very important market for poultry and agricultural products, as well as stalls drapers, shoemakers and tanners.
Before the invasion of the English in 1358-1360, in the covered market were lines of tables and stalls.
During this war, the covered market was destroyed by English troopers who burned thereby merchants left the city because the trade received a mortal blow. At this time the covered market was so " well covered and lockable and well stocked." Louis of France rebuilt the covered market in 1392. Jehan Taboe roofer changed a thousand lattes to cover the covered market in 1452. Jean Solier receives 48 soils in 1453 because he changed a skylight, lattes and a pillar that was rotten.
The Castellany was engaged in the sixteenth century, from that moment the new Lords had to maintain the covered market as it existed, located in the center of the city (covered half with tiles half with slate after a disastrous restoration by Viollet-le-Duc 1865. In the fifteenth century, they were composed of four rows of pillars).
February 17, 1787, the covered market is declared protected building.
In 1820, maintenance of the covered market is undertaken.
In 1886, a sum of forty francs was awarded to the former tenant of the attic of the covered market for the improvements it has made there.
At the time of the Capetian Kings, fairs and markets already existed. It was decided they would be on Thursday, by the way the market is stille on that same day.
Under the west roof is a closed attic with a wooden staircase. This room was used to store unsold goods for the next Thursday as well as equipment needed by trader on the market day.
The renovation in 1992 added 2 bays removed in the fifteenth century. 60 m3 of oak pillars and rafters and over 80,000 tiles countries were required for this renovation.
Organ of Notre-Dame (1501 and early seventeenth century)
ORGAN (dated from 1501) is classified « historical monument », it is clinging to the nave, located in one of the most beautiful churches in the Loiret and is among the oldest in Europe.
The whole buffet-platform and part of the pipe date back to the sixteenth century.
The mechanical part of the organ which you can hear the games are partly dating back to the seventeenth century (Historic Monument in 1971).
Abandoned in the nineteenth century, the organ was restored from 1970 to 1974 by KOENIG, organ builder (Sarre-Union).
Pleasure for the eyes, this organ is also a treat for those who come to hear the summer concerts. Organ manual keyboard has 48 notes and 13 ratings pedal coupler.
Church Notre Dame de Lorris
The Church is from the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, built under the influence of the St. Benedict monks, was modified and enlarged over the centuries. St. Louis placed it under the protection of Our Lady.
According to Abbot Patron, it was built in the tenth century in honor of Saint Etienne.
In 1111, Louis VI the Fat enlarges it, but it was over only a century later under St. Louis, and after the fire of 1187, Philippe Auguste surrounded it by a rampart which resisted until 'religious war of the sixteenth century.
In 1170/1180, a large window is drilled in the western façade.
In 1297, the chapel of St. Louis was founded in the parish church by Philip the Fair at the canonization of his grandfather Louis IX.
Several different styles appear and give an idea of its history.
A novel twelfth porch is topped by a bay of the thirteenth century, then a brick building dating back to the Renaissance.
The tower four awnings is complemented by a lantern from the nineteenth century.
The baptismal fonts are marble.
The statue "Madonna and Child" marble was donated by St. Louis in the town of Lorris and is one of the most beautiful of the diocese of Orleans, a historic monument.
The pulpit and the pew are the seventeenth century.
The windows date from after the war of 1940 but the first four representative the doors pf Lorris that predate 1870.
The Minister of Public Instruction and Fine Arts registered on the list of historical monument the Historic Church, the Tribune and the Buffet of Organs in 1903, the registration was definitive in 1908.
- Min.: 14 °C
- Max.: 19 °C
- Wind: 4 kmh 142°
No items to display
Évènements à venir